Friday, October 19, 2012

The American Dream Has Become a Nightmare

That post headline ought to catch a few eyes! The American dream has become a nightmare to many in this polarized social/political landscape. No longer has the ideals that were put forth by our founding fathers an important catalyst for our continual improvement. Now a large contingent of Americans see our government's welfare system, not as a stop gap measure, but a way of life.

The American Dream is a national ethos of the United States, a set of ideals in which freedom includes the opportunity for prosperity and success, and an upward social mobility achieved through hard work. In the definition of the American Dream by James Truslow Adams in 1931, "life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement" regardless of social class or circumstances of birth. Wikipedia.

Let's take a good look at that statement. "Opportunity for prosperity and success...achieved through hard work". Our government has put the brakes on that through taxes, regulation and now class warfare. Don't get me wrong, there still is a chance for prosperity and success...for those willing to be demonized for their success and taxed/regulated to the brink of disaster. The people we see take those chances most of the time are not natural born citizens, but in fact immigrants. People who have suffered under oppressive regimes have come here with the tools to work with our oppressive business climate. Our own citizens however have been stunted in this system because the government hands out so much. So much is expected and not many will take the chance. No longer can you rise to the top on your abilities since your abilities are defined for you by the government or the governments officers. Teachers, police, judges, probation officers, unemployment/career counselors and even social workers. Division by socioeconomic and perceived ability as prescribed by the government. PROVE ME WRONG.

As a child I was told by many that I would amount to nothing. That my future was sealed in my lineage and that my attitude would severely hamper any upward mobility. This was told to me by teachers that were charged with molding my future and my peers that singled out my social status. Granted, I was a little prick and I accept that. Any book I grabbed was easily absorbed and discarded, committed to memory then I moved on to the next. I couldn't sit still for fear the vibration would start a fire! I didn't sleep much, constantly climbing trees or tearing something apart. Things would be different for me if I'd have been born in this time...and I think I'd probably be on social security. 

Children in my position now are given special care, drugs (which I for one don't approve of) and therapies that give them the tools to flourish. Or so it would seem. Many of these children get the wonderful chance to have college educations paid for because of, perceived, disability. They are no longer allowed to fail, the lines are skewed and standards are dropped. Everyone gets a trophy now. Being allowed to fail on my own terms showed me the successes I could achieve...on my own terms. It took awhile to sink in and I mourn the loss of both parents who sadly did not live to see my achievements that I as so proud of. I was given the tools to sink or swim. Just enough rope to climb out of the hole, or make a noose and hang myself with it. Expected self achievement through my unique abilities. The American way.

Now we have a president that is saying that a certain class doesn't want you to achieve. That they want you to have dirty air and dirty water. That they want grandma and the kid with autism to fend for themselves. Fair share...by one group's definition. Right now that fair share falls squarely on the middle class and any changes he has proposed to the system will affect the middle class' share for the negative. If we allow one class to be preyed upon by another it will erode the American Dream. Fairness, Equality and Opportunity has become Selective Inclusion, Specific Rights Based on Sexual Preference, Color, Nationality and Political Affiliation and An Extension on Unemployment Compensation. This president is rewriting the American dream to his own ideals. What he doesn't realize, in his arrogance, is that dream is not his...IT'S OURS.

I just realized that I'm becoming one of the 'Beautiful' people of the left..I'm writing this sitting in a Starbucks, sipping my Medium Roast caramel non-fat coffee listening to cool jazz. This shit gets under your skin. No wonder most of the more extreme liberals I know are Moon-Bats.

That's my literal subsidy, use it or subsidize the next individual.

(That's my two cents, spend 'em or put 'em in the dish for the next person.)