Thursday, October 4, 2012

Why the arguments never hold up. Passion cannot be construed as fact.

This was an exchange with an (un) friend on Facebook. Figured I'd share it with y'all.

My original post:

If you not a liberal at 20yrs old, you don't have a heart. If your not conservative at 40yrs old, you don't have a brain. Churchill. I guess some people just refuse to grow up and accept facts. You gotta hand it to them, they do exude a childlike ignorance.

First rebuttal from friend (in blue)

And your complete and utter disregard for people who think differently than you is not ignorant? Time to buy a dictionary, or is Webster to liberal for you?

My responses (in red)

I have no disregard for people that don't think like me (name omitted)..I do however disregard those who do not think. Facts are facts. Left leaning people are just children who think if they scream loud enough, people will listen. Obama opens his mouth and the left takes it as gospel. If the facts don't support it, they twist the facts or outright disregard the facts. Pretty child-like. I remember some of those kids.."if you don't play by my rules, I don't wanna play at all". Why is it then only 20% of the United States identify themselves as liberal, while 40% identify themselves as conservative?(adjusted to median) http://www.gallup.com/poll/154889/nearly-half-identify-economically-conservative.aspx

 If anyone can show me facts to support a different view then I'll change mine. I'm not unreasonable, but I do reason. Unlike most of the left leaning people I know. They do not want to hear any good about anyone other than their own candidate. I'd rather have a Massachusetts moderate than 4 more years of a disinterested snake oil salesman.

 
I have just been called an ignorant, left leaning child by someone who I thought had the ability to see past differences in opinion and agree to disagree with mutual respect. Look at your flawed logic! You just said you have no disregard for people who think differently than you. Then, you say that people who are liberal don't think. So, logically, you disregard liberal people. I have too much respect for your wife who is a friend of mine to say what I want to say to you, but I don't have to accept any more of your insulting and close-minded shit anymore on a forum that I use as a means of relaxation and enjoyment. All the best.

At this point, I was unfriended by this person.


 I'm sure my wife would have no issues with anything you'd have to say to me (name removed). My opinions are just that, opinions, but my opinions are born in fact. You don't like those facts and your decision to 'take your toys and go home' drives home my point about liberal antics. If you act like a child you'll be called out on it. You yourself said some things about Gov. Romney and his 'arrogance' that prevented you from watching the debate so as to not 'get sick'. Your refusal to even accept another way that isn't your own illustrates your extreme party affiliation. I respect you and your position that you've worked hard to attain. I also give you props for all the great work you do for the community. I'm at odds with your political views merely because they are not rooted in facts. I'm sorry if my views and opinions have made you decide to unfriend me. I do not unfriend anyone. My views are for anyone to see because I believe that they can stand up under any scrutiny.

 I've been called many names over the course of this political season. Many by you (name removed). My opinions of liberals are in generalities. I do not point at any one person, more to the point as a whole. The very people the preach the about inclusion and toleration are the very people that so easily cast these aside. I'm sorry to my other left leaning friends if these posts hurt your feelings but it's my opinion. If you don't like it don't read. Easy enough. When people want God removed from schools, its the liberals. When they want people to stop driving SUVs, it's the liberals. When ever people want to remove a liberty..it's a liberal that's leading the charge. If it isn't their view, remove it.

At this point the conversation moved to private messenger.



It's not your views that made me decide to unfriend you, it's your attacks on people who are as hard working and intelligent as you are but happen to take a different stance on issues that bothers me. I appreciate banter and discussion, but I won't do it only to be belittled by someone who hides behind a very thin veil of alleged fact to ridicule others. For the sake of civility, I think we both need to go to our corners and shut up.


 I hide behind a thin veil of alleged facts? Show me where any of my facts are wrong and I'll change my view. You always poke holes in my views with a very small poker. Fox News is not where I get my facts.

 And I attack no one. I've given up on responding or posting rebuttals on any of my left leaning friends posts. I only respond to the posts on mine. I've come to realize that most of these people will not change their mind anyway. I have many liberal friends, it comes with the territory (healthcare) and many of them disagree with me.



No, I have wasted enough of my time on arguing with you about politics. I'm done. I'm not going to change your mind and you won't change mine. Go vote for your people and I will vote for mine and move on. 

You simply don't get the fucking FACT that you have crossed the line from expressing opinion to being a hurtful jackass. How can you in one breath say you respect me as an educator and in the next say I'm ignorant of facts. You're not the only one who does research you know.


So instead of calling me names, show me your facts that you research. Easy enough. If the facts hurt, than they must strike a nerve. Too much worth is put on words. Ignorant isn't name calling. It's a state of reacting without substance.


I am so done. DONE  


No supporting facts huh? It's all good (name removed). I still like you as a person, your one of the better wordsmiths on Facebook and I'll miss our exchanges. I'm not the type of person to let my views dictate my affiliations and if I ever run into you I'll still convey the respect you deserve and would hope for it in return. If I was a religious man I'd say God bless you, but I'm not, so I wish you good health and prosperity. May your days be filled with happiness, good food and friends.


I am also not the type of person who chooses friends based on belief. I wish you well also, but again, you were attacking not only my sensibilities, but my intellect. To even say that I do not support facts is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Yes, if I ever run into you, there will be no hard feelings, but for now, back off and go attack others who are more willing to accept it on their social network.

I chose to end the conversation at this point and not respond further. I didn't want to 'attack' anymore (although I can't see where I've done any attacking, more to the point fending off an attack). It's exchanges like this that illustrate the desperation of the left. Facts do not support their direction. Continued calls for them to prove me wrong is met with childish rhetoric and conjecture. They haven't a factual leg to stand on. 

PROVE ME WRONG.