Saturday, September 15, 2012

Conservatives are ignorant and have small minds

My views are controversial. My views seem confrontational. My views are called self-centered. My views are called wrong. My views have labeled me ignorant and small minded.

But....

MY VIEWS ARE ALWAYS ROOTED IN FACT AND I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO DISPROVE THESE.

I'll begin with a little background information on me and my small mindedness.

I'm 40yrs old, socially liberal and fiscally conservative, read everything I get an interest in and for some odd reason it sticks with me, I'm a pretty good self taught mechanic. I've got the ability to fix anything that breaks on an automobile, I'm a decent welder, good with stick welding and MIG, I'm good with wood, I know the basics in building theory and I've made some pretty nice things, can operate most any piece of heavy equipment, have a Class A truck license, I've hauled 180,000lbs load of wood up route 11 with an under-powered truck in the winter and driven more than a three quarters of a million miles across all the contiguous states the lower Providences of Canada as well as Mexico, I've been a member of a union, I am a high school dropout, but received my GED the same year, I am the recipient of two associates degrees, one with high honors, the other with honors, nationally recognized Certified Medical Assistant,  I'm a  licensed and registered Radiological Technologist, also hold a registry in Computed Tomography and trained in Magnetic Resonance Imaging, I have friends of all races, religions and sexual preference.

And yet...being a conservative, even only fiscally, I'm labeled ignorant and small minded by the very people that preach 'love, understanding and inclusion'. I'll put my skills in life up against anyone. I'll listen to anyone's views and comment on them if their views are not backed up by hard facts. I may even change my view if their facts support their view and that view is rational.

When I hear people talk about politics in the context of the democrat narrative, most of the time their facts are not able to back up their position unless the monkey with the interpretation. Ask the right question, get the right answer. The problem with that is the question has been asked, but they skew the results for a different question. And yet, I'm small minded and ignorant. We have people that out and out lie about scientific data (ie: global warming and immunizations cause autism) and these same people cement their position even when the data fails to support it. Who's small minded and ignorant? I guess I am. They come up with conspiracy theories and make up non-existent classes of people (ie: the 1% vs the 99%) in order to fan the flames of their rhetoric. And again. I'm the small minded and ignorant one. They protect their chosen officials from ridicule by shielding them from the hard questions and manipulation of the news. They quell the growing disdain by belittling opponents of their way of thinking.

I could be an ass and say that most of the 'left leaning' people I know are very limited in their thought process. But I'm not like that. I know a lot of 'left leaning' folks and they are good people. I do not discard their point of view merely because it's not my own. But if the facts do not support that view than all bets are off. My Dad always said, "if your going to run your mouth, make sure the facts back it up". My facts back it up, am I to still buy into your observation that I'm small-minded and ignorant?

That's my two cent's, spend 'em or put 'em in the dish for the next person.