Monday, September 24, 2012

Taken to Task on Obama's Nobel Prize

I was recently taken to task in a Facebook post by a friend's husband while commenting on Romney's tax rate. My commenting on Romney's 30% charity contribution was met with Obama giving all of his Nobel Prize money to charity. So, I said he didn't earn it. Which didn't go over well. Of course if I could just use aspiration and conjecture to gain a Nobel Prize, I'd probably give all the money to charity too just to deflect some of the criticism. Now, I commented on that it didn't have anything to do with nuclear proliferation and I was wrong. Ran my mouth without reading the whole summation. Bad on me. But, in my defense,  I couldn't find any supporting evidence on that assertion.

So, I ask. What did Obama do in the first 9 months of his term to garner the respect from the international community to that deserve that Nobel?

Let's see...

He played golf 28 times in 2009, over 100 in his four years as President. Maybe those games were with world leaders talking about nuclear proliferation or arm reduction..um..nope. No world leaders teed up with him.

He stopped the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan..afraid not. While Iraq did end, it ended on the timeline set by the Bush administration. Not very "Nobel" of you to take credit for that Obama while you blame everything else on your predecessor.

He improved international peace by, as the Nobel summation describes using
"Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts." Going to have to shoot this one down too. He's the one that decided to send 17,000 more troops to Afghanistan. Oh..and lets not for get the hostage crisis off the coast of Somalia with the pirates, negotiations on that one consisted of Navy Seals taking out the pirates and saving the day. We don't have to bring up Usama Bin Laden do we? Yep..he of golden tongue, Obama.

 

North Korea launched a long range missile in a test on his day 76, he did run his mouth a bit..but I think the only thing that set North Korea back was the death of their pint-sized dictator. Iran continues it's nuclear aspirations despite international disdain, as a matter of fact, the middle east has never been closer to a war of EPIC proportions. Yeah they've been fighting for something like 10,000 years, but now it's heading nuclear. All in the face of the Nobel Organization's assertion that Obama is creating "The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened." I'd be willing to bet, and I hope I'm wrong, that Iran and Israel will be engaged in conflict in the near future. If they get to squabbling, I'd put money on North Korea getting into the pissing match too.

He closed Guantanamo Bay Prison. Again..something he said he'd do..didn't happen..matter of fact it's going strong and improving it's grounds/facilities insuring many more years of service.

All in all...I can not find anything that he's done, besides his apology tour that really accomplished nothing, that would warrant the Nobel. I would love to have someone prove me wrong.